Archive Photos...

Discussion in 'Support' started by TAG1014, Jan 24, 2015.

  1. TAG1014

    TAG1014 Supporter Supporter

    I sometimes visit Frisco-Dot-Org and the Frisco Archive on my tablet instead of my desktop PC. For some reason more photos are viewable on the tablet than the desktop?? Anybody know why? Reason I ask, I sometimes save Archive photos to the desktop, but one photo that appeared on the tablet never arrived at the desktop??? Same thing happened today with the little steam yard engine (#736) Viewable on my tablet, but not on the desktop (Where I'm writing from now). Any ideas?

    Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Coonskin

    Coonskin Member

    I've noticed that sometimes the updates don't show on the desktop as quickly as the I-phone. Weird.
  3. FriscoCharlie

    FriscoCharlie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporter

    I can (kind of) explain that but the answer may not make complete sense.

    The software that drives the Frisco Archive (Wordpress) is a great piece of software but it does a couple of things that are weird. The posts to the site are scheduled. I have to spend a lot of time to set them up and they are scheduled at the same times. For example, the "SLIDES" category posts at midnight Eastern time (sometimes I substitute an advertisement or other document through) and the "RT COLLECTION" posts at noon Eastern time. All of the other categories post at other scheduled times throughout the week. The "DW Collection" posts at 6:00 PM Eastern (when photos are available).

    I load these up in advance and they are supposed to appear at the right time. As many of you will notice, at the scheduled time the photos are also promoted out to Facebook automatically. That drives traffic back to the Archive.

    The problem is, although the scheduled posts do appear to post in the backend of the software as indicated, sometimes the front end does not appear to update with the newest posts. For those of you that are members of the Frisco Archive, and are logged into it as you browse, you should not be affected by this as every time I am logged in, it appears to be correct, and when I am not logged in, sometimes I do not see the last post or two.

    When this happens, I log in, republish, and then everything is fine. I am even using a special plugin to the software that is supposed to force scheduled posts to appear if they don't do so automatically.

    I have asked about this on their support forums and received various answers. Bottom line is, this is something that I hope will resolve itself at some point. Otherwise, I just check as often as possible to try and keep it up to date. Sometimes it works just fine and other times it lags for some reason. As you indicated, sometimes on mobile devices it does display thefront page correctly and on the computer it doesn't. It serves up the pages differently on mobile devices.

    Not the best answer but that is where we are on this problem.

  4. Sirfoldalot

    Sirfoldalot Supporter Supporter

    i personally do not like the archive ( maybe it's my lack of knowledge about it ) for the fact that I mostly use my iPad to view with. God forgive if I accidently touch a photo while viewing .. It starts trying to download the photo at a snails pace, gets about half done, then locks up, and I have to reboot to do anything.
    i really wish that the archive had just been made a chapter of the regular forum with sub chapters such as the "motive power" section.
    is the reason that this happens is because I need to set up a DIFFERENT user name and password?

    also don't like seeing "patched" stuff .. Might as well just be posting "green" stuff and saying "former xxx"!
    RANT OVER ...(for now)
  5. William Jackson

    William Jackson Bill Jackson Supporter

    Actually, I agree, I like the archive, but see no reason to use another password and have the same trouble it kinda stumps my ipad and forbid I touch the photo. I generally need to shut mine off for a while.
  6. RogerRT

    RogerRT Staff Member Staff Member Supporter

    Well, there are things I don't care for either but I understand different strokes for different folks so I don't b&tch about it. BTW the feeling was mutual, BN folks didn't (& still don't) care much for Frisco, that was the reason for the scorched earth policy after the merger. We were very lucky to see any Frisco stuff past '83 so enjoy what we got.

  7. William Jackson

    William Jackson Bill Jackson Supporter

    You can say that again, the Frisco managers, went into the top positions for a good time period. Some were fairly rough, compared to the BN style management. The Q managers were a little on the rough side, but it worked out.
    BN was a far better railroad, than they get credit for, that was a innovative time period, all through the 80's That all changed when the top guys came in from Santa Fe, for the most part small rail lines had to tug, a lot harder. BN had deep pockets with the powder river stuff, which made them a lot easier to work for.
  8. tmfrisco

    tmfrisco Member Supporter

    I agree with you, William, that working for the BN was not that bad, actually. The leadership in Tulsa at the divisional level emphasized safety and listened to the scheduled employees on safety matters. I was the co-chair of the Tulsa safety committee with Mike Black (asst. supt. of Tulsa terminal) and was given a lot of leeway in how we worked and the projects we under took in Tulsa. We accomplished some amazing safety projects because of the emphasis on safety, and including the scheduled employees in the project decisions, that under other leadership would not have been possible.

  9. RogerRT

    RogerRT Staff Member Staff Member Supporter

    Terry, you Safety guys get a big thumbs up from me. When I started in June 89 there were guys getting hurt & killed all the time, it was just part of the job. When General Jack came in 92 things started to change, some things took a lot getting used to like getting on/off moving equipment & safety glasses but we also started getting a stipend for boots & free gloves. Yes it is still a dangerous place to work but not like it used to be. Thanks Terry!
  10. tmfrisco

    tmfrisco Member Supporter

    Thanks, Roger, for the kind words. It took quite a long time to change the culture in Tulsa to convince the employees that the divisional and "most" of the local management was serious about safety. Of course, a lot of the emphasis on safety from the railroad was economically driven from the cost to the railroad from the lost time and settlements that occurred from the injuries. Mike Weismann sp? was the divisional supt. in Tulsa at the time, and he was honestly concerned about the men's well being and not just the cost to the railroad. He couldn't understand why the employees working in and into Tulsa wouldn't buy into the idea of safety. He pulled me off my job for over two months to do nothing but talk to the men/women and report back to him my findings. Some of the employees never did buy into it, but had to because of safety rule violations resulting in some severe punishments. The 1. getting on and off moving equipment, 2. riding cars on the end platform, 3. proper radio procedure, and 4. going in between standing equipment rules were some of the toughest rules to gain compliance because of year's of practice contrary to the new rules. I must say that many of the safety rules were being handed down by college trained "safety experts" with no railroad experience, and some of the rules were so radicle that they took away the ability to "railroad". Of course, as is the case in about every industry, little to no input was sought by the people who actually had to work under the new rules. That was also one of the reasons it was so difficult to get the employees to work safely. The riding on the end platform of a tank car was one practice that was outlawed, and in my opinion, actually made riding a tank car more hazardous. It was safer to ride on the end platform with the arm linked through the end hand rail than to ride on the step with both hands holding on to the side hand rail because this position formed a triangle between the feet and the hands causing a swaying motion when slack occurred. Sorry to go on and on, but I really did take safety seriously and could see both sides of the dilemma. I am now retired almost five years and think back fondly on my railroad years, and especially the fact that I never injured anyone because of my rules violations or improper handling of the locomotive.

  11. William Jackson

    William Jackson Bill Jackson Supporter

    Terry, nice job on the events on Safety. The figure that I was told was 300 Million, paid out each year on claims. The economic savings, like you said started this action, the buy in, from the workers was slow, at least 10 to 15 years, some never got it. Glad you said it.
    Sometimes we need to separate the railroad from the employees. Railroads are all good, as is all aspects of the hobby. Also all railroads, have had, some supervisors and workers that might have not been quite as good.
    Most railroad workers, were just good employees, making a living.
    And yes it is a dangerous profession. All those rules changes, you site, have hurt a lot of folks.

Share This Page