Between Garland and Iantha, it was all about coal, and the Frisco served many mines that were located in the area. Coal mining in the Garland area remained an economic endeavor until 1954. The town languished until 1974, when rising natural gas prices made coal an economic fuel for electric power generation. Bill's Coal started operations during that year, and the coal was shipped to Springfield's James River Power Plant. The Frisco served the Kelly Carter Mine, C-109.5 with a 95 car long siding.