Caboose SLSF 1710

Discussion in '1700-1725' started by mark, Jun 11, 2010.

  1. mark

    mark Member

    Please see the following link for view of Frisco caboose SLSF 1710.

    http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=812547 (7/10/2007)

    http://www.gngoat.org/gn485_caboose.jpg (7/2005)

    This is one of the of the Frisco built cabooses intended for road and pool service. This car was constructed during 5/1973. It was built form a main car body provided by a Pullman Standard PS-1 boxcar, SLSF 18519.

    The lower side sill hints at the car body's Pullman Standard origins. Below the cupola and side sill the electrical system battery box clearly shows. The its left on the inner axle you can see the truck mounted electric generator for charging the battery.

    Note on the roof top the smoke stack with support brace to the cupola. The photograph shows the metal electrical conduit that connected to the roof eve red end marker light. The red marker lights are still in place. This car also has retained its original aluminum frame double hung windows.

    Unfortunately this car is in a faux paint scheme for the Great Northern Railroad, as GN x-485.

    This car is located in north central Montana. The caboose is located on the Hill County Fairgrounds on the west side of town. It sits on the south side of the street, southeast of the Heritage Village Mall. The car is owned by the H. Earl Clack Museum. Prior to 2006 it was located behind the former museum site at 306 3rd Ave. (a/k/a 315 4th St.) at the 1932 Federal Building that once housed the post office, federal offices, regional and district courts. The caboose and museum were relocated to the fairgrounds and mall in an expense saving effort in 2006.

    The car location address is 1604 1st St. W. (a/k/a U.S. Highway 2), Havre, MT.

    Please see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...GuN_1FV_pDcLm_eXvbBpBw&cbp=12,176.21,,0,19.22.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks!

    Mark
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010

Share This Page