Discussion in 'General' started by yardmaster, Nov 15, 2017.
My pleasure to help John. It turned out great.
Your photo of the CNW beast made best of the month in the March MRH release.
Thanks Bob. Hopefully everyone enjoys it. Maybe I can get some Frisco exposure again soon!
Diorama work continues. Ballasting today....
Oddballs decals were terrific, and I miss having them. They are quite thin, and age brings difficulties. I have just a few sets left, but haven't used any for five years. They will no doubt be a problem to apply, in particular if they are big, or long.
Continuing to work on the diorama and get the trestle pilings in. Here they are rough fit. Still need some detailing and weathering. Here I am hiding the fact that there are shims under the pilings and that there is no water in the creek. Ha!
I think this diorama is going to make a good stage for photos. Need to get it some power and turn on headlights.
Take Care All,
Nice pic Bob. Train vanishes into horizon nicely. Looks long that way.
Gorgeous Photo, RJ.
Mighty impressive work.
A couple I finished up last week.
This Bachmann/Roco depressed center car has been bouncing around in a box for years. I finally came across some images showing the car, I think the model was based on. I lowered the car a bunch by milling the bolster down made the car look a little better.
Kinda odd in the loaded image, the turret was traversed to the FWD position, and not in travel lock. The discussion on TB was that this car may have been intended for use in the USA or Europe, as the holes on the ends of the car look like they could have had those buffer things they use, and the draw bar housing was bolted on and could be removed. Anyways an interesting little project, I have spent way too much time on.
The last image shows it loaded with a M-103 heavy tank.
The HO scale, M103 heavy main battle tank (HMBT), has very basic almost rudimentary molding (3ft rule applies), had to do a bid of flash cleaning, had to fabricate the travel lock for the main gun and drilled out the main gun to make it look a little better. Painted olive drab, the suspension was painted flat black, the final drive hub/sprockets, road and idler wheel hubs were painted drab. Then weathered the track and suspension a bit and loaded it onto the drop deck flat, that was painted drab decaled and weathered up a bit too. Those tracks are quite a bit wider than the car, as they are on the prototype, and the new decking I put on the car was wider than what came factory.
Here it is loaded and tied down. Pieced together the tie down ratchets and chains, Made some wedge things to go in front of and behind the tracks. The prototype image shows wooden wedge blocks in between the road wheels, which is kinda nuts IMHO.
Not Wednesday of course but I did take some pictures of my latest project today. Tom, I love the bellydragger you built. I am sure the tank looks just fine as it rolls past headed to Ft Leonard Wood.
Here is my project this last couple weeks. Back to trucks for a moment. Here in Ohio 3 or 4 cheaters is the norm for a stone truck. I used a Herpa Mack CH for the model basis. I'll add some construction pics too. Nothing to crazy but fun anyway. I dont build many HO scale vehicles. Enjoy, Steve
The bed is .020" styrene. The frame stretched with styrene also and some bit added to look like the airbags and arms on the pushers. The bed got Aline chain for the tailgate. Lead foil for the tarp and EZ line for the cables on the tarp.
Some idea of how small it is:
Well Steve, I am ashamed to post anything after those pictures. You are a tough act to follow!
I had a few items come in for upcoming projects, but one thing that made some progress was this tool shed. A first try, but serviceable.
Still needs a smoke jack and some weathering....
Hope all are doing well. Take Care,
You might want to consider lowering the roof pitch.
From your model photograph it appears there is excessive unused attic space. On ancillary support structures like this in southern states with low snow loads, lower pitch roofs are more common. Also, conservative railroads would want to save material costs associated with higher pitch roof area and siding materials.
A photograph in the Frisco Archive of a similar structure in Wittenburg, MO indicates the height above the end window to the roof peak is about the height of the window. On the model it appears the roof peak is about 1.5 times the height of the window.
Either way it still looks good.
Hope this helps.
@mark , that is an excellent observation. @Karl provided some details in the Cherokee KS thread regarding buildings, and noted that I need a number of these types of buildings for my model of that area. If I read the notes correctly, it looks like 1/4 pitch is more appropriate. I also found that the Grandt Line mega-pack window assortment has some better matches for windows. I will make another run at this model for sure.
Thanks Bob. Neat little building you got going there.
Hahahahhaaaa someplace I have a picture of me with a giant coors light can. If I could find that it would really add to the confusion. Hahahahhaaaa
thanks hope you liked the truck
Haven't had a submission for Workshop Wednesday for quite a while. I guess tonight's project makes the cut. I started putting together car cards and waybills for the first time. I'm figuring it out as I go, but I'm making progress. Not a huge fan of the more detailed cards Micro Mark offers now, I would have preferred less lines with more space to write. I might write over these with address labels in the future, my handwriting isn't very good.
Separate names with a comma.