Thread: 44 Ton #4 through #8

mike Guest

Default 44 Ton #4 through #8

SLSF 8 deadheading to Enid on the Beaumont Sub, 1969
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2548.jpg  
    Last edited by friscomike; 10-16-2005 at 09:24 AM.

don Guest

Default SLSF 5 44 ton Blue and White _ 1943

Here's a nice little 44 tonner in the blue and white scheme. I think the coonskins are yellow, but I wonder what the stripes are? This is the only diesel I have a model of and I will paint it in this scheme to conform with my 1943 time period. I don't know where, when or by who this was taken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16930.jpg  
    Last edited by friscomike; 10-16-2005 at 09:22 AM.

chris Guest

Don:
    Perhaps Ken McElreath can confirm or deny but I think this might be in Cape Girardeau. The building in the background still exists today on the grounds the Missouri Dry Dock and Repair, just south of the old Mississippi River bridge.

My notes somewhere had a 44-ton center cab switcher assigned to Cape, which was my only justification for having any diesel power for a 1943 River Division layout.
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 10-23-2011 at 05:30 PM.

timothy Guest

Chris, I do believe you are correct. This building looks a lot like the one on the Missouri Drydocks property. I will try to go by there and get a photo to post. Has anyone checked the serial number of the 44 tonner at the LoneStar (nee-Marquette) cement plant in Cape? Could it be ex-Frisco? Just a thought. I will check it out.
    Tim

Default Re: 44 Ton #5 AND #8

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Don:
    Perhaps Ken McElreath can confirm or deny but I think this might be in Cape Girardeau. The building in the background still exists today on the grounds the Missouri Dry Dock and Repair, just south of the old Mississippi River bridge.
    My notes somewhere had a 44-ton center cab switcher assigned to Cape, which was my only justification for having any diesel power for a 1943 River Division layout.
    That picture IS taken on the west side of the Missouri Drydocks machine shop in Cape. My grandfather drove their semi-trailer rig for years and often took me there to visit one of the machinists (Brian Hassel) working in the building.
    Picture 1 below is a new picture of the building (August 2009).

According to Marre and Harper in Frisco Diesel Power, the Frisco leased 44 tonner #4 (in black and yellow livery)to Marquette Cement for a period of time.

The 45 ton GE at Marquette Cement (Lonestar, now Buzzi Unicem) was purchased by Marquette new from GE in June, 1955. Notice it did not have external side rods. Instead it had internal chain drive between axles in each truck. It was painted in the "Frisco" color scheme of black with the yellow diagonal stripes on the nose and running boards like SLSF #4. It is in very sad appearance now, having been painted a miserable white and blue scheme by Lonestar and left to fade since. The Builder Number on it is #32338.

UPDATE: the Missouri Dry Dock and Repair long machine shed in the picture #1 foreground was demolished mid-year 2011.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0003.jpg   IMG_2321a.JPG   IMG_2341.JPG   IMG_2342.JPG  
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 12-02-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Here is a nice shot of GE 44-ton #6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slsf06.JPG  
    Sherrel Weems (And stop calling me Surely)
    Mi Speel Chekeer is Daid!
    I have to go now, the guys in the white coats are coming!

Default Re: SLSF 5 44 ton Blue and White _ 1943

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Here's a nice little 44 tonner in the blue and white scheme. I think the coonskins are yellow, but I wonder what the stripes are? This is the only diesel I have a model of and I will paint it in this scheme to conform with my 1943 time period. I don't know where, when or by who this was taken.
    I wonder how this would look in mandarin orange and white? Just a thought.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoGeorge View Post
    I wonder how this would look in mandarin orange and white? Just a thought.
    George

George, the only way they came was Black with yellow diagonal strips on the hood ends and running boards with Yellow lettering OR the Blue/White/Blue scheme shown with Red lettering. Thankfully, none were ever repainted to the O/W scheme.
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 10-19-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Southeast...........Southwest
    Ship It on the Frisco!

44 Tonner #5 was dealt a nasty blow on Thursday December 15th. 1949, according to this blurb in the Southeast Missourian:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...=4375%2C744718

But it apparently was repaired and finally sold by the Frisco in 1966 to Armour Agricultural Chemical in Crystal City, MO.
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 10-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Blog Entries

Great find, Keith! I don't suppose you or other sharper eyes can make out the locomotive number on the steam dome of the "Sunnyland" power?

The semi-streamlined Hudsons is my knee-jerk guess; however, I've neither seen nor read of them being used outside of the "Memphian." I don't have my resources handy but maybe one of the lower-numbered 4-8-2s?

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris Abernathy
    Columbia, MO
    (Modeling the Frisco's Northern Division - Kansas City Terminal in HO-Scale c. 1943)

Engineer SLSF 6 44 Ton

Howdy,

Here is an old color photo of GE 44 ton #6 from the Joe Toth collection.

Best,
    mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0002.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	885.2 KB 
ID:	16930
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 10-19-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Retired Website Manager
    Ship it on the Frisco
    FRISCO.org

Default Re: SLSF 6 44 Ton

Any idea of the location of this picture? Engine and caboose paint jobs are really nice, could this be an earlier than 1969 photo?? The engine looks like it was painted yesterday!

Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 10-19-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Tom, #6 was originally painted in the Blue over White over Blue scheme as seen in the #6 post by Sherrel Weems (sirfoldalot).
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Default Re: SLSF 8 44 Ton - 1969

I realize that the blue and white scheme from the 1940's was long gone by 1969. The black and yellow looks friesh (For 1969)! I thought the photo might have been earlier (Than 1969), like 1961, the wooden caboose is also in great shape! By 1969 the black and yellow paint jobs still remaining would have been getting very worn.

Tom
    Last edited by TAG1014; 10-24-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the shot of b/y #6 is really ca. 1949!!! It is a very very old red bordered Extachrome slide received from an elderly gentleman in Tampa, Florida, back in the 80s. I don´t know who the photographer was as he took pix himself and also purchased many others to aid him in building O scale locomotives.

We do need the location! The building in the background (roof) and the platforms might help determine where it was taken?

This is the only Frisco pix I have! My collection was left at a friend´s house when I made the move to Germany in late 76 and it never got here. He claimed he had a break-in and a lot of stuff was taken including what I had left for later shipment to me. The biggest loss were the slides of Frisco SD45s on in-bound coal trains running up grade from the Trinity River Bottoms into the old Santa Fe East Dallas Yard and some from Carrollton with the Cotton Belt depot in view. A pix of a Frisco southbound is in Frisco Diesel Power and sure brings back fond memories as I grew up in the area.

My late friend, also from Tampa, had some neat slides of Frisco power taken on the old ACL Uceta Yard engine tracks during the SCL era. They too got away from the "bums" when his half-sister disposed of his entire collection before any of us could put a claim to some of his stuff. A real bummer to say the least.

Joe Toth
    Last edited by Joseph Toth; 11-05-2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Joseph Toth
    The Trinity River Bottoms Boomer

Email: railroadjoe@hotmail.de

That's not "bad news!" It's great to have such a vintage photo! The caboose in the shot is worth the price of admission!

Tom
    Last edited by TAG1014; 10-24-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Tom,

I would submit that the color photo of #6 was made at Springdale, Arkansas.

Ken McElreath

Re the slide that I sent to Mike of Frisco 44 tonner No. 6 and caboose 546 that is posted for all to view. I believe that the slide was taken by the late Bill Lenoir of Tampa, Florida. He made a few railfan trips to Northern Florida, Southern Georgia and Southern Alabama in the late 40s and early 50s. The GM&O boxcar shown spotted at a local industry leads me to believe that it might be Mobile or Pensacola.

Perhaps the locomotive and caboose assignments of this period can bring more light to the subject of just where the slide was shot at? I received the slide from Bill in the 80s. He was a master builder of O scale models. I regreat that I didn´t have the money back then to have him build me a Frisco 2-10-0 and T&P 2-10-4 No. 628. My grandfather took me to Fair Park in Dallas after 638 had been placed on display and he climbed on top of the tender with me and it was a long ways down to Mother Earth for a little tot knee high to a Texas grasshopper.

Joe Toth
    Last edited by Joseph Toth; 03-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Joseph Toth
    The Trinity River Bottoms Boomer

Email: railroadjoe@hotmail.de