Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing Could Be Finer than a Frisco Diner by John W. Reed

Default Nothing Could Be Finer than a Frisco Diner by John W. Reed

While we're talking dining cars, has anyone seen this book:

https://www.whiteriverproductions.co...exd.asp?id=181

Does it cover the rolling stock or is it just food, menus and tableware?

Tom
    Last edited by TAG1014; 12-03-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Frisco Menus

Wow. I've not seen that one. It doesn't say how many pages, etc. That would be important information.

I'd like a more thorough description myself. I hope it has some dining CAR information, like builders and in-service photos and specs. If it's only about menus or dining car china and silverware, I couldn't care less. I know some people are gaga over dining car china, but I'd have to pass on a $59 book just on tableware and recipies (Like some dining car books), Frisco or not.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by TAG1014 View Post
    I'd like a more thorough description myself. I hope it has some dining CAR information, like builders and in-service photos and specs. If it's only about menus or dining car china and silverware, I couldn't care less. I know some people are gaga over dining car china, but I'd have to pass on a $59 book just on tableware and recipies (Like some dining car books), Frisco or not.

TG
    I am in the process of finding out all of this info. Stay tuned!
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend
    Modeling a small segment of the Wichita Sub-Division, circa. 1980, in HO called the
    "River City Railroad & Amusement Co."

Blog Entries

I e-mailed and got this response.

Hi CharlieThis book is a hardcover book and it is 8 1/2x11 and there are 143 pages in this book. I have added a short synopsis about this book below.
    Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
    Thank you

Nothing Could Be Finer than a Frisco Diner by John W. Reed

“Food service on the St. Louis–San Francisco Railroad began with a single dining car converted from a coach and grew into a fleet of 34 dining cars serving the Frisco’s nine-state territory in the mid-1940s. Immediately after World War II, brand new streamlined dining cars were added to the Frisco’s fleet. It was a time when businessmen, celebrities and families on vacation routinely took the train to their destinations, and dinner in the diner was a special treat. Frisco's dining cars developed a reputation for serving the finest food on rails. Highly complementary letters were common. One such letter, from a New York passenger in 1949, appeared in the railroad’s newsletter, All Aboard, complimenting the Frisco on its food and service, adding, "Other lines should send scouts to get ideas from your chefs!” This book preserves the memories of the people who made the dining car experience possible, and to pass on the lure of the dining car to generations that have never known the appeal of "dinner in the diner.”
    I guess I will order it and see.

That's the same description that's on White River's website.

Tom

Ron's Books in New Jersey, my regular book supplier, lists both the Frisco Diner book and Lou Marre's book (correct title is "The Diesel's First 50 Years") at list price, which is unusual. Though my policy is to buy any book about the Frisco, I think I'll wait a bit as I have a real problem paying list price on anything these days!

The Frisco Diner book sounds like a book on how cool it was to eat on the diner, in particular on the Frisco, so I'll likely get it as I never had that pleasure. But, from what I see, I doubt there is much info on the SLSF dining equipment in it. Probably lots of menus.

Ken

White River prints our Society magazine, Lines South. I'll find out more about this from Kevin Eudaly directly. But, $60 seems a bit steep for 140 odd pages.

Buck

I stumbled upon this discussion somewhat by accident, but I am hoping I can shed a little light on the new book "Nothing Could Finer than a Frisco Diner" since the Author, John W. Reed is my father, and I am holding the book in my hands, I feel somewhat qualified to answer some of your questions about it:-) While the book does have a section on Menus and china, that is far from all it offers!

The Author, John was a Frisco dining car Steward in the 1950's and 60's and has written a very entertaining history as well as many personal memories and stories from others who worked on the Frisco Dining cars. After the introduction the book begins with the founders, and Fred Harvey, the goes into Chapter 2 with "Frisco Takes Over" followed by "The War Years and Streamline
    Era" Chapter 4 covers Dining Equipment on Frisco Trains and chapter 5 is "Dining Car Crews" (it is probably my favorite chapter, with very interesting (and some very comical) stories from various Frisco dining car workers about various things that happened in their railway days, including stories of famous people they met while working on the Frisco. Chapter 6 is "My Life on the Diner" which is the Authors personal memories and History from Frisco Days. Chapter 7 is China, Glass, and Silver Chapter 8 "End of the Line" .... "Dining Car Service Discontinued" the remainder of the book covers Frisco Reunions, Letters from satisfied Patrons, Frisco Memories, Menus, Recipes, Acknowledgements and Credits. It is a beautiful Hardcovered Book. I hope this helps to clear up some of the questions about the book!

Quote Originally Posted by meteor910 View Post

The Frisco Diner book sounds like a book on how cool it was to eat on the diner, in particular on the Frisco, so I'll likely get it as I never had that pleasure. But, from what I see, I doubt there is much info on the SLSF dining equipment in it. Probably lots of menus.

Ken
    There is actually quite a bit of information about the SLSF dining equipment, what was used, when, and on what cars, besides having a chapter dedicated to equipment, info on all of this is woven throughout the book

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cmx5 View Post
    I stumbled upon this discussion somewhat by accident...
    Thank you for posting. I have ordered the book and will post my opinions as well. We appreciate your father offering us another Frisco book.

Charlie

Where is the best place to order it from?

Thanks.

Ken

This just came in this evening from Kevin Eudaly, owner of White River. Some of you KC guys probably know him:

Hi Buck:

It's a history of dining car service on the Frisco. Price and page count may "not add up" but we make very little on books, primarily because of smaller press runs making each individual copy a little more expensive to produce. The Frisco doesn't have a huge following, so the relatively small press run worked out to that price. There will be more details on www.whiteriverproductions.com in the near future
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 12-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.

As with Charlie, I also asked for a synopsis and at first got about the same response that he did. The responder did say that if I had any more questions to let him know. I emailed back asking for specifics such as number of photos, topics, etc. I stressed that there was concern about the book be menu oriented. Below is the long & detailed response that I received back. All I can say is WOW!

The book is 143 pages. There are over 200 images, around half and half color and black and white, though tilted more in favor of color. They consist of a pretty even mixture of people; equipment, inside and out, historical to the end of Frisco; menus and other artifacts such as dishes and utensils, uniform and patches, forms, awards, etc. The images very nicely illustrate whatever topic is being discussed on any given page, and the book covers a range of topics, so the images are of a range of subjects.

The books covers much, much more than just the dining cars. It covers the history of dining service on the Frisco, from its beginning to the end. Topics include the founding of dining service, Fred Harvey and his contributions, the operation of dining service (dining car crews, warehousing and food supply practices, rolling stock considerations, dining service equipment design, etc.), changes in service and operation from era to era (the war years, post war years, approaching the end, etc.), changes in equipment, anecdotes from the author and others who worked in the dining service department at various levels and positions, and more. It's a fairly comprehensive and enjoyable examination of what all went into offering dining service on the Frisco throughout the history of the railroad. Here are the chapter titles:

Chap 1: The Founders and Fred Harvey
    Chap 2: Frisco Takes Over
    Chap 3: The War Years and Streamline Era
    Chap 4: Dining Equipment on Frisco Trains
    Chap 5: Dining Car Crews
    Chap 6: My Life on the Diner
    Chap 7: End of the Line
    Epilogue: We Get Letters (letters from passengers to the railroad regarding the quality of Frisco's dining service)
    Special Sections:
    A: Frisco Memories — by Thad Carter
    B: Menus (an extensive collection of different menus)
    C: Recipes (culled from the recipe books used by Frisco cooks)
    D: Acknowledgements / Photo Credits

I encourage you to order a copy so you can personally relate to people what the book offers. We've had many people assume by the title that the book is some kind of roster book about Frisco dining cars and that doesn't even scratch the surface!

Ian Scott
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend
    Modeling a small segment of the Wichita Sub-Division, circa. 1980, in HO called the

So again, where is the best place to order the book from?

Ken

Blog Entries

It sounds encouraging. I ordered it directly from White River. I don't know if it can be had cheaper or not.

Ron's Books has it listed for $55.75 with free shipping. Direct from White River it is $64.95 ($55.95 + $5.00 S.H.) which is a $9.20 difference. That will buy 2 jars of peanut butter is anyone cares!
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoFriend View Post
    Ron's Books has it listed for $55.75 with free shipping. Direct from White River it is $64.95 ($55.95 + $5.00 S.H.) which is a $9.20 difference. That will buy 2 jars of peanut butter is anyone cares!
    Three jars of Skippy if'n ya buy it from Wally World online. ;-)

Does sound like an interesting book. Although, truth be told, I'll wait on others to give their "book report" without the capability of actually flipping through it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
    Three jars of Skippy if'n ya buy it from Wally World online. ;-)
    To me the best is JIF. I used to work for P&G when they owned the brand and it was #1. Now it is owned by Smucker's which is good too. I once asked one of the food reps what made it better and they simply said it had honey in it. That's why it doesn't taste as dry as others!
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend

Regarding peanut butter ..... nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is as good as good old smooth Peter Pan! Rick will confirm if you don't believe me!

Ken

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nothing Could Be Finer than a Frisco Diner by John W. Reed

Wow! I'm suddenly craving a PBJ and a glass of cold milk.

I tend to favor Peter Pan Crunchy!

TG

FYI, I ordered the Frisco Diner book tonight, and why not, ordered the new Lou Marre Early Diesel book along with it, both from Ron's Books. I'll try to get out of the penalty box tomorrow by telling my better half that these are to be considered as my Christmas presents.

Ken

Blog Entries

That's what I did when I ordered both of them too!

Charlie

When ordering my book the lady at Ron's told me that she had purchased the first one when they arrived there and they had done a wonderful job on it and I would really enjoy it. I asked her if she was a Frisco fan and she said no that she purchased any book related to dining on any RR. I felt this to be a very creditable recommendation.
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast