Thread: water under the bridge

Default water under the bridge

Finally put water under the bridge at Valley Park and Eureka
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 030.JPG   018.JPG   012.JPG   005.JPG   015.JPG  

014.JPG  
    Last edited by geep07; 02-17-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: water under the bridge

My man, that is nothing short of stunning. That looks so realistic with all the elements coming together: backdrop, weathering on the bridge and river scenery. Makes me want to go "floatin'"! What did your pour for water? Envirotex or Magic Water or something else? I love it. Very nice layout and putting the name of the river on the fascia is a cool touch.

Thanks Jim, I used Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and Water Effects. I did not pour it, it was brushed on. It took 5 coats, alowing it to dry between coats. Water Effects was used for making waves and ripples, this was done on the 3rd coat, then applied Realistic Water over that for the 4th and fifth coat.
    The base color was UP Dark Grey or anything close to it. I applied 10 drops of RR Tie Brown into the bottle of Realistic Water.
    I used a fine brush to get close to the banks and bridge piers, then used a foam brush for the rest. Use a stiff bristle brush for the Water Effects.
    I think by brushing it on you have more control than pouring, and soap water cleanup is a breeze and its non toxic and no fumes and drying time between coats is about 30 min.

Jim, it looks real nice. I was wondering, how deep is the cutout? I want to put in a bridge, and over the years, I've been on lots of RR bridges. I don't want to go any deeper than needed. I suppose a couple of inches, might look ok.
    Bill Jackson

Sorry, I guess it's John. Your water looks nice, I was just curious about the depth of the cutout.
    Bill Jackson

Very nice! Very nice indeed. Makes me wanna pull out the ol' cain pole and fish from the bridge. Very tastefully done. Be proud of yourself.
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

John, as with the rest of your layout, the river looks very nice. Great job!
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Southeast...........Southwest
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Bill, you need to know what type of bridge that will be placed at that site as well as the piers and abutments. Measure the height of piers, plus the distance from the top of piers to bottom of the tie, include the height of bridge shoes and the base of the bridge where the ties will rest on, add all of these dimensions and this will get you in the ballpark. Crack your knuckles and get down to it!

John

I suppose that would be the right starting point. My layout is only 10 by 10, so I probably will use a open deck wood pile. You can make them about any height. A large bridge would probably look out of place. That was what I was wondering, when I ask the depth, I really didn't ask right.
    Bill Jackson

The total lenght(depth) is 60" on the 3 truss bridge, (20" ea.)and the deck girder bridge is 30", hope that this is what your after.

That helps, I knew it looked real nice. I will do something much smaller. Nice job!
    Bill Jackson

John - Very nice!

What did you use for the Valley Park bridge spans?

Ken

Ken, these are Walthers kit, the short deck girder on the end is a Micro Engineering kit. The deck truss bridge is an Atlas that were combined,

John