Thread: SLSF #65005

Default SLSF #65005

Caught these pictures of SLSF #65005 gondola this afternoon on a siding in St Mary, Mo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5942.JPG   IMG_5945.JPG   IMG_5944.JPG   IMG_5943.JPG  
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Southeast...........Southwest
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Default Re: SLSF #65005

Wow! 32 years since the merger and Frisco still won't die! Hurray for the coonskin!
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

Be still my heart . . .
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Rick

Nice shots Keith. That one still looks in good shape.
    Bill Jackson

Very nice to see a car still roaming around with the Frisco lettering still on it. But I'm surprised that with the lack of paint on it it hasn't been through the paint shop.

Long live the frisco.

Ethan
    Ethan Lawrence
    Founder and CEO of the Iantha Branch.

I thought it was interesting that the reporting marks were stenciled on the side and end. It makes me wonder about the actual lineage of the car. Can someone verify the car type and if the reporting marks were originally stenciled?
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Southeast...........Southwest
    Ship It on the Frisco!

That sucker sure gets around. In Canada - http://www.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/view.c...01.06_2594.jpg

If one clicks on the photo to get a larger shot, be prepared to wait a bit. But it does show a lot of detail. To bad it is too new for me.

It is a joy to see SLSF reporting marks after 30 years, but it does lead one to wonder why.

That 3077 on the sixth panel from the B end suggests it carries "Environmentally Hazardous Substance, solid, n. o. s." or "Other Regulated Substances, solid, n. o. s." The placard was on the car in Canada six years ago. It is probably in steady service carrying something like contaminated soil or hazardous waste that makes it inconvenient to repaint because regulations may require some prior decontamination procedure.

George Nelson

Page 91 of Nicholas Molo's Frisco/Katy Color Guide to Freight Equipment has a picture and a caption that identify it as a product of Darby from a 100 unit order built in February, 1966 and numbered 65000-65099. These were designated as GBS by being equiped with full length belt rails on both sides. Molo speculates the belt rails were used to retain tarps over hazardous ores like lead, copper and zinc and perhaps they were used in service on the Lead Belt. The photo reveals that the orginal paint job included Railroad Roman reporting marks and FRISCO spelled out in billboard letters between the ribs. Alternating width ribs and the unique ends differentiate this car from similar gondolas.

Rich
    Last edited by pensive; 06-23-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: adding information

I looked at the blown up picture of that car and you can see the letters F R I S C O on the side of the car. The "S" is the most prevalent one to be seen.
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

For those who want to see this a bit speedier and save a copy, I copied the full size photo and posted it to my folder on the ACL-SAL website. Click here: http://www.aclsal.org/abdfiles/slsf65005.jpg

Rancho Bob