Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: New Direction for Zalma Branch (photos)

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Direction for Zalma Branch (photos)

I'm not sure Keith. I keep changing my mind about how this will progress and I'm leaning toward making the Brownwood module a separate 4x8 with an early Diversion Channel construction scene on the opposite side. I always have the option to make a shelf type around the wall layout and reuse my scenery. Then on the other hand I could start anew with a real shelf type model railroad. There I go again. Must have adult A.D.D

Blog Entries

Here's my latest idea after standing in the basement all evening: long term goal is a point to point layout made on freestanding 18" wide modules. First I will build the Brownwood module and put legs under it. Then I will build new Zalma and Greenbrier modules possibly by using the existing sections from my 4x8 and putting legs under them. Then I can arrange the modules in the basement and connect them with two curved modules. One curved module would represent the cut between Zalma and Greenbrier as on the current layout and the second curved module would include the Dark Cypress swamp and early Diversion Channel construction. This second curved module would connect Greenbrier to the Brownwood module. This is my latest plan and I hope I can reuse a lot from the existing 4x8 Zalma Branch. This "New Direction" should provide a more satisfying and prototypical layout with better operational possibilities.
    What do you folks think?
    Last edited by Jim James; 12-15-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Free-standing is fine for mobility, especially if built so that one could at some time pick up and move to a different location. From what I remember of your basement, that may be the best plan.
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Southeast...........Southwest
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Blog Entries

It's settled then. I'll get started on this Brownwood module. That way I'll have a good switching module to operate while I finish the rest of the layout.

Any updates Jim? Two months and change is a long time, no activity for you...
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

Blog Entries

Got side tracked building some rolling stock, steam dredges and what not. Plus I'm branching out into n scale projects as well (HO is still my main thang). Too many irons in the fire! I need to get a few more #4 turnouts and some 2" foam insulation board and I'll be getting the Brownwood module going.
    The reality is this....I get burned out for a while and go into a slump. Then I get going again after a while. I'll snap out of it soon because the journey is far from over. Your recent work inspires me and it's kind of fun to sit back and watch for a while.

N scale? N Scale?

Lets see some pics of the steam dredgers...
    Manny

Blog Entries

Here are two pictures of the dragline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EC638109-6076-408B-98E8-40922BF7C178-721-000002086112FE69.jpg   49C13F18-96D8-468E-89C5-42AF587A811F-721-000002082C2AB2C4.jpg  
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 03-19-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Jim .. That model build just blows my mind!
    You really did a "jam up" job on it.
    Sherrel Weems (And stop calling me Surely)
    Mi Speel Chekeer is Daid!
    I have to go now, the guys in the white coats are coming!

Here is Rule 1.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Richard E. Napper
    Frisco Northern Model Railroad
    Modeling the Northern Division and Sheffield Steel in Kansas City, MO and Coal Mines in Missouri

Thanks for the laugh Richard. It just helped me remember that as much as we strive for prototypical results, we will always have some variances. It's the spirit and the heart that counts, and you, Jim, and all the folks here at Frisco.org have it!

Rule No. 1 Rocks the house!
    Manny

Blog Entries

Thought I should add a photo of the prototype. It does look weird!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41B95DB3-BFD5-4E31-A438-21D17802B28B-1851-0000018678EE9998.jpg  
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 03-19-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm starting to lose heart. I finally have the 4x8 2" foam board and all the switches and flex track I need to model the junction at Brownwood but I've stalled. My basement isn't the best for a model railroad. Weird obstacles and general arrangement issues. I'm stuck with stacking the Brownwood module on top of the Zalma branch. A multideck 4x8. Insane. I could connect them with a helix attatched to the end or have them not connect at all. I don't see any other option but this idea kind of sucks. I've bitten off more than I care to chew. I'm slightly sidetracked by N scale plans and with spring around the corner I'm contemplating a garden railroad. Too many irons in the fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F95E049F-2408-41E6-83E2-42A6D66F884F-8214-00000682F17490E9.jpg  
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 03-19-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Hey Jim,

Slow down my friend. Take a deep breath. Hold it. Hold it. Now, calmly and deliberately exhale. Feel the relaxing flow of air. It's going to be alright. It's very easy to feel overwhelmed in this hobby. I've got over 20 railroad cars from the MOW train uncomplete because I'm waiting on one part. I know how it feels to be overwhelmed. It will all work out. If you build it, they will come. Wax on. Wax off.
    Manny

Jim, Looking at your most recent picture, I think you are approaching the design in too much of a recti-linear fashion. Don;'t let the rectangular shape of the Zalma module and the new hunk of foam dictate your track arrangement. You can tie into the Zalma module from a corner and at any angle from another hunk of foam substrate.
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Quote Originally Posted by klrwhizkid View Post
    Jim, Looking at your most recent picture, I think you are approaching the design in too much of a recti-linear fashion. Don;'t let the rectangular shape of the Zalma module and the new hunk of foam dictate your track arrangement. You can tie into the Zalma module from a corner and at any angle from another hunk of foam substrate.
    Great advice Keith. Think out of the box Jim!
    Manny

With your great skills, both with scenery and now DCC ... If I were you, I would build a nice "operating" layout - totally fiction but name the towns and business as those you wish to model.
    Sherrel Weems (And stop calling me Surely)
    Mi Speel Chekeer is Daid!
    I have to go now, the guys in the white coats are coming!

Blog Entries

All great advice. I'm home today, sick with the nasty stomach bug. Dangers of healthcare work. Must've started last night and put me in a funky mood. I'll figure something out. I did make it to work this morning but that sure as hell didn't work out. Haven't missed a day of work in 10 years. Luckily my wife and I work together so she drove us home. Oooohhhh.........

Jim,

Sorry to hear you are sick. Take it easy, relax, chicken noodle soup, rest, sleep, dream of Zalma and be happy. Get well soon my friend.

Manny
    Manny

What he said....

Blog Entries

Thanks, guys. I managed to survive the plague and appreciate the well wishes. I've started construction on the Brownwood module tonight by cutting out the base from 2" foam board.

I've decided how to make this layout work for me. The main reason for it's very existence is the effort to recreate, as close as possible, the short branch from Brownwood to Zalma so places have got to be in geographic order. I will cut the existing 4x8 layout into two usable sections, Zalma and Greenbrier. I will construct a shelf along a long wall and have the Zalma module (end of the line) on the far left which includes the Castor River trestle. Next a new section will have a more prototypical version of the "cut" and then the Greenbriar module which is near the far right of the wall. A curved section will come around and connect to the leg of the Brownwood module. This last connection module will represent Richardson and include a Diversion Channel construction scene with my steam construction equipment. The Brownwood module will not be along a wall but jut out into the room like an island. I plan on the shelf sections to be about 24" -18" wide and height to be about 55"-58". This will be a true operations style point to point model railroad and will be more gratifying for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99A37E87-7551-4876-86C1-2D98AD41B643-1263-000001145237AF76.jpg  
    Last edited by klrwhizkid; 03-19-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Atta Boy Jim! Way to go! Wahoo! Good job!
    Manny

Blog Entries

The roadbed is now glued in place and the ends will eventually have short additions to allow for operation. Now a DCC wiring question. Look at my photo and you'll see the "wye" section. I need to add a DCC reverse loop unit into my trackplan. I know some of you have done this and would like to know what unit you used and how you wired it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim, I would recommend a PSX-AR, Power Shield Auto-Reverser made by DCC Specialties. Tony's Train Exchange and others sell them. Easy to wire and the PSX-AR also has a built-in stall motor turnout control decoder, so you can control Tortoises for the ends of the auto-reversing section if you desire via your DCC system.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Blog Entries

Thanks, Keith. I'll order one from Litchfield Station since I've ordered all my DCC stuff from them in the past. This should make operations much more realistic and enjoyable.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast