Thread: Nascent EA7 scheme

Default Nascent EA7 scheme

This image is from the inside back cover of the Frisco's 1945 annual report. It shows an early proposed paint scheme for the EMD EA7's that were on order but wouldn't be delivered for another year. One cannot tell the colors from this picture but is similar to many other schemes which have the "bow wave" motif.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails annual report 19450001.jpg  
    Last edited by pensive; 12-14-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: syntax

Default Re: Nascent EA7 scheme

I think I read someplace that the Frisco (And Katy) scheme hadn't been chosen at the time of that ad and the GM&O (Or C & A) scheme was used.

Tom

The Frisco scheme is similar to the GM&O scheme, but there are significant differences. In the GM&O scheme, the lighter band covers the top of the nose instead of forming a soft V shape on the front. Also, towards the rear of the GM&O body, the light band ends in a downward curved shape. The Alton scheme is a more elaborate version of the GM&O scheme. My reference is an article in the March/April 1980 issue of Mainline Modeler entitled "ALTON Diesel Painting Guide" by Bruce R. Meyer.

Here's a link to a GM&O EA7: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1543782

Rich
    Last edited by pensive; 12-15-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: substitute better picture

The EMD Styling Section produced at least two other liveries for the Frisco EA-7's. Both were of the same style, but with different color schemes.

Described as a MP-styled Loewy Curve on the sides and with an art deco C&NW nose pattern, the proposed scheme was far different than the adopted schemes for the Meteor and Texas Special. One scheme had two contrasting shades of brown; yellow-orange pin stripes were used to separate the browns. The nose pattern was yellow-orange with dark brown whiskers and a dark brown border, and had a red FRISCO LINES coonskin below the bottom headlight.

The second color scheme was the same style, and it used a dark green and a medium green. Pale yellow pin stripes were used to separate the greens. The nose pattern was pale yellow with a red pin stripe border and red whiskers. A red FRISCO LINES coonskin was located under the bottom headlight.

I wonder what the matching cars would have looked like?

Here is one EMD alternate proposal not too far off from what was finally adopted.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slsf2000e7_emdproposed.jpg  

Arncha glad that the Frisco and Katy managers chose the designs and colors that they did! A brown and orange Texas Special or a two-tone green Meteor would have been pretty forgetable.

Tom

Ken,

That nose pattern could almost be the "proto-form" that utimately became the the "cat whiskers" on the the E-8's

-keb-

Quote Originally Posted by meteor910 View Post
    Here is one EMD alternate proposal not too far off from what was finally adopted.

Ken

This scheme is close to the final choice except that it's numbered 302 and named The Meteor Flash.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meteor Flash EA7.jpg  

Interesting posting now on eBay - another EMD art rendering of a possible scheme for the SLSF and MKT EMD Texas Special E7 units.

I like the final version that was actually used a lot better.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mkte7 rendering slsfmkt texspl.jpg  

Cooler heads prevailed when they made the final choices.

Tom G.

Edit...Someday I'll learn to stay out of diesel affairs since I know nothing of powered boxcars (lovingly). Forgive me...
    Last edited by SAFN SAAP; 04-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

Interesting.

At the end of the day, though... I'm glad the Frisco itself went with that glorious cat whisker scheme... especially with the white outline. Wow... what a classy paint scheme!!! It was like no other... and the famous horse names only added to the uniqueness.

Amen to that! Even the later Duluxe striped scheme still with the horse names was pretty neat.

The Frisco "Racehorse/Redbird" scheme was neater than the Warbonnets, Daylights, Zephyrs by far. So was the original Texas Special/Meteor for that matter!

Tom G.

There were certainly a large number of really neat paint schemes for E's and PA's during the "Golden Era" of streamliner passenger diesels. i loved most of them I saw and miss them all.

I agree with Tom (yes, we are no doubt biased a bit!), the Racehorse E-unit scheme in gold and white with the dark blue logo was as good as any. And, the fact that they each carried individual horse names made them truly unique.

I also suport what Tom says about the TS/Meteor scheme - I never saw one in real life (at least that I remember), but I have to say the best looking diesel model I have is my TS unit, SLSF 2003. The thing is just plain beautiful. (It wasn't all me - it was painted by a very talented guy, and I detailed it and finished it off). I think I have pics of it posted in my album. I tried to get him to do another for the Meteor scheme, but no soap so far.

Ken
    Last edited by meteor910; 04-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.