Thread: Frisco Auto train

Engineer Frisco Auto train

Howdy,

A friend from the Texas Western Club brought this for me to look at. It is an old lithograph used for autorack PR. The file is very large when viewed full size. The original was badly decomposed and stained in spots, but I worked it in Photoshop to improve the image. I used Canon's photostich to merge three separate scans together.

The small picture gives you an idea what it is. The zip file is the 17mb image.

Best regards,
    mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails autorack merged sml.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by friscomike; 05-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Retired Website Manager
    Ship it on the Frisco
    FRISCO.org

Blog Entries

Default Re: Frisco Auto train

Neat photo, Mike! And good restoration work, too. Are those 5 F units on the head-end?

A very aesthetically pleasing shot of the SL-SF earning its keep.
    Chris Abernathy
    Columbia, MO
    (Modeling the Frisco's Northern Division - Kansas City Terminal in HO-Scale c. 1943)

Rick McClellan has the same lithograph, in excellent condition on display. At first my speculation was that it was taken in central Missouri, but after spending sometime with Google maps and the satellite imagery, I can't find a spot that matches the track curvature and surrounding topography (creek or river bridges and possible nursery) granted that picture looks like it was taken in 1961 based on the Rambler Wagons, Buick Specials, Pontiac Venturas & Catalinas, Plymouth Furys and Ford Thunderbirds on those cars.
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Southeast...........Southwest
    Ship It on the Frisco!

Quote Originally Posted by klrwhizkid View Post
    Rick McClellan has the same lithograph, in excellent condition on display. At first my speculation was that it was taken in central Missouri, but after spending sometime with Google maps and the satellite imagery, I can't find a spot that matches the track curvature and surrounding topography (creek or river bridges and possible nursery) granted that picture looks like it was taken in 1961 based on the Rambler Wagons, Buick Specials, Pontiac Venturas & Catalinas, Plymouth Furys and Ford Thunderbirds on those cars.
    I had the same one hanging in my basement in Annapolis. It was a Frisco PR photo taken on the Valley Park, MO lead to the Chrysler plant. The photographer was probably on US 66 (I-44 now). All the racks were 3000-series SL-SF. I did the artwork for Tim for the OddBalls Decals. I've scratchbuilt five or six. Richard Grayson was very proud of the automobile transport business they got back from the truckers in the early 1960's. Read the interview in FMIG LINES 116.

You are absolutely correct. This link shows the view from overhead:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...13733&t=k&z=16 You can't see the tracks from ground level due to the trees that have grown up between the outer road (old 66) and the tracks.
    Keith Robinson
    KC, MO North
    Southeast...........Southwest
    Ship It on the Frisco!