Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Towers

Default Re: Water Towers

Karl:

You are more than likely correct as this little building housed an electrical pump and had electrical lines running to it. That leads me to believe that it was built after the original pump house was dismantled. Up until the recent renovation water was kept in the tank to keep it from caving in. Upon renovation a sleeve of sorts was constructed so that is no longer necessary. Also I have been told by two former engineers that worked that line that at times during the hot summer months they took on water from a small red hose that protruded from the ground in or next to the pipe base that held the stanchion for the water tank.
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend
    Modeling a small segment of the Wichita Sub-Division, circa. 1980, in HO called the
    "River City Railroad & Amusement Co."

Default Re: Water Tanks, Dixon, MO

Closer to home, i e, the Northern Division, Kansas City Subdivision, Biocourt, KS also had two water tanks. The Water from the river was so muddy, it was pumped into the first tank to settle, then the cleaner water was pumped into the second tank for use by the steam engines. The two tanks had no roofs. I've got a picture of them around here some place.
    Richard E. Napper
    Frisco Northern Model Railroad
    Modeling the Northern Division and Sheffield Steel in Kansas City, MO and Coal Mines in Missouri

Does anyone have an engineering drawing of the water spout and it's mounting to the Frisco 50,000 gallon water tank?
    Richard E. Napper
    Modeling the Northern Division and Sheffield Steel in Kansas City, MO and Coal Mines in Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by renapper View Post
    Does anyone have an engineering drawing of the water spout and it's mounting to the Frisco 50,000 gallon water tank?
    It seems that the Frisco applied an after-market handle to its FM water spouts. That it what the drawing, which may be found at this link depicts. http://www.frisco.org/vb/showthread....ighlight=spout

With a little bit of work, one should be able to derive a plausible spout from the drawing. Unfortunately, the details about how the spout attaches to tank are missing.

lauditor temporis acti

Even the write up for the listing as an historical building doesn't list how the spout was attached. I guess the choices are hinged or by chain.

When I again scratch build the beaumont, KS water tank, I'm going to build at least two of them. The beaumont, KS water tank never had a spout on it, there was a water crane down by the roundhouse; but I want to put one of the second tank I build. I guess I will build out a wooden rectangular frame. The spout will be hinged at the bottom wooden member with the supply pipe coming out of the bottom of the tank such that when the spout is lowered, it will go into the spout. attached to the top of the frame will be two rollers so chains withe weights can be attached to the top end of the spout. A rope will hang down from the bottom of the spout so the fireman could lower the spout onto the tender. There will be a second chain or rope going up the side of the tank to a pivot that goes down into the tank to open the water valve. What do you think?
    Richard E. Napper

For me, that is probably as good as anything.

Here is a drawin from the C&NW
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water-tower-spout.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	19691

Oldjuy,
    Thank you very much, that is just what I was looking for. I really do not think the RR makes all that much difference because I think they were pretty standard.
    Richard E. Napper

Oldjuy,
    Thank you very much, that is just what I was looking for. I really do not think the RR makes all that much difference because I think they were pretty standard.
    Not necessary so. During the Turn of the Century, prior to 1910, standardization was almost non-existent. Railroads did with what they had. Yeah, certain proven patterns like trestle bents and bridges may have shared characteristics because of proven reliability, but it wasn't until right before WW1 that standards started to take shape. One thing is certain, you can see certain things consistent with each other. I too thank Oldguy for posting that.
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

I don't have an entire plan to post, but the following information is from the Frisco standard tank plan of 1898:

Standard 12 post (12by12s) hooped, covered tank 24' X 16'
    Bottom of tub 14' above top of rail
    Center of tank 24' from Center of track
    Discharge spout 10'8" length, 13"dia large end, 10" dia small end

Unfortunately there is no drawing or description of how the spout was attached.

Hope this helps,
    John

Blog Entries

Would the water tower spouts have a valve handle, similar to what was used on separate water cranes? Here's an old thread that shows the drawing plus a photo of the Chaffee, MO water crane that stood just south of the passenger depot:

http://www.frisco.org/vb/showthread....ht=Water+Spout

Best Regards,
    Chris Abernathy
    Columbia, MO
    (Modeling the Frisco's Northern Division - Kansas City Terminal in HO-Scale c. 1943)

There was usually a rope or chain beside the water spout on the water tanks which went to the top of the tank to a arm on a pivet point. the other end dropped down into the tank to connect to a water valve at the bottom of the tank just above the discharge pipe leading to the spout.
    Richard E. Napper

While we are on the subject of water spouts on the Frisco and the free standing one that serviced locomotives in Beaumont, I thought you all might find some interest in the latest addition there. Local resident Marci Brewer, the lady who led the successful effort to completely restore the tower several years ago, found the vertical part of spout (or stanchion) back east and got it shipped back to Beaumont and erected in the same spot on the footings of original one. She hopes to raise the money in the near future to get the other half fabricated out of stainless steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beaumont Water Tank.JPG  
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend
    Modeling a small segment of the Wichita Sub-Division, circa. 1980, in HO called the

Not so, according to my plat map of the beaumont, KS RR facilites, the water stand pipe was down by the roundhouse. It is clearly marked on the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2380-17 BEAUMONT, KS PLAT MAP COLLECTION OF LARRY PARRISH.jpg  
    Richard E. Napper

Not so, according to my plat map of the beaumont, KS RR facilites, the water stand pipe was down by the roundhouse. It is clearly marked on the map.
    Richard:

Thanks for the correction. I just went by what I was told when I went over there and saw it. For what it's worth, I personally wish they would have waited to erect it when they had the other half completed. My fear is that it will sit there like this for an extended length of time.
    Bob Hoover
    FriscoFriend

I understand why they put it where they did, but I agree it would have been a lot better to wait until it was complete before placing it beside the tank. Remember the Beaumont, KS water tank never had a spout on it.
    Richard E. Napper

Hello Friend,

Do you have any pictures of your water tanks, I would like to see them. I do not believe ours exists, unless its the old water tower, but do not know for sure.
    I am interested in building small scale, something like 55 gal. plastic drums. Any help, would be great! Thanks, Darrell

It will take a little while, but I am scratch building two Frisco 55,000 gal wooden water tanks. It will have a lot of photos in the article.
    Richard E. Napper

Was there a standard on the Frisco for how far water towers were placed apart in the system?

Thanks,
    Derrick Ricketts

20. Default Re: Water Towers

I think the answer is no. I think the governing factor would be the availablity of water resources rather than a certain number of miles. In the days of steam the Frisco had a chemist based in Springfield who would travel to each water source and check it for quality according to an old-timer who worked at the Fort Smith roundhouse. If there was a problem treatment chemicals would be added to ensure the proper water quality profile was attained. The Frisco was also fortunate that much of the area it traversed had water resources unlike say the Santa Fe in Arizona where water resources were non-existent. The lack of water was the main reason why the Santa Fe was allowed to purchase freight diesels in WWII.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12