Thread: EMD E-8A #2009 "Jet Pilot" on the "Firefly"

Default EMD E-8A #2009 "Jet Pilot" on the "Firefly"

This is MY favorite "Redbird"
    Date and Location unknown - any help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slsf #2009 Jet Pilot 2.jpg  
    Sherrel Weems (And stop calling me Surely)
    Mi Speel Chekeer is Daid!
    I have to go now, the guys in the white coats are coming!

Default Re: EMD E-8A #2009 "Jet Pilot" on the "Firefly"

This would be 118 at Fort Scott, Kansas. Jeff

To resurrect an old thread, does anyone know when the Firefly equipment was repainted Pullman Green rather than blue and white? Has anyone ever seen a photo of a diesel pulling it when it was still b&w?

Gordon

According to the Frisco Museum leaflet "War Years Blue & Gray Passenger Equipment Roster," the Firefly cars were repainted to Pullman Green as follows:

--82 Baggage-RPO-Coach......May '51
    --83 Baggage-RPO-Coach.....Sept '47
    --752 Chair.........................Aug '53
    --754 Chair.........................Aug '50
    --757 Chair..........................Jan '48
    --1501 Cafe-Lounge..............Feb '52
    --1502 Cafe-Lounge..............Apr '53

I believe that leaflet has been scanned on this website, but I can't locate it right now. It shows all the Blue-Gray cars and their painting dates.

Tom
    Last edited by TAG1014; 04-09-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Where did this photo originate? Is it in some kind of form that could be reproduced in the new "Frisco in Color" book, or is it a scan of a print?

Greg Stout

Quote Originally Posted by gstout View Post
    Where did this photo originate? Is it in some kind of form that could be reproduced in the new "Frisco in Color" book, or is it a scan of a print?

Greg Stout
    Greg .. It is a scan from a print that I purchased on e-Bay. It's a "clean" photo with no markings on either front or back.
    Sherrel Weems (And stop calling me Surely)
    Mi Speel Chekeer is Daid!
    I have to go now, the guys in the white coats are coming!

With the painting dates you show, Tom, it is entirely possible that photos exist of the train with at least some of the cars still blue and gray being hauled by a diesel. Has anyone ever seen one??? Judging from the excellent photo that started this thread it appears that the original equipment stayed with the train until fairly late.

Gordon

Gordon--My main railfanning pastime is looking at photographs and trying to squeeze any morsel of information from them. I can't remember ever seeing any of the Firefly equipment pulled by a diesel. That's not to say it never happened though. The only picture I recall of a diesel pulling any blue/gray cars was that photo that's been posted here before a couple of times (The one where you noticed the class lights). Sorry, I don't know how to link it here, I have trouble finding anything on the chat board since it was updated.

Tom

Thanks. No sooner did I post the question than I stumbled across that photo and a bunch more like it on an ebay site. Wonder who actually holds the rights to those photos. The deeper I get into my book project the more iterations of the same photos I am seeing, all claimed to be owned by different individuals.

GS

I believe the picture that started this post is train #108, not train #118. The train is entering Fort Scott depot from the south. If you look 4 cars behind the engine you will notice a buffet. #108 had a buffet between Springfield and Kansas City. #108 usually ran with 2 head end cars, chair car, and buffet. When traffic was heavy or there was a movement of soldiers out of Fort Wood #108 would have two chair cars. In later years 108/118 was consolidated at Ft. Scott with #118 picking up the buffet at Ft. Scott. (#108's buffet).
    Jerome Lutzenberger
    OKC

This train isn't 108. It's train 118 arriving at Ft. Scott yet to be combined with train 104 (Which was the Springfield-KC local of the period). 107-108 wasn't running between Springfield and Kansas City during this period. The picture is ca.1951-52, the engine still has single air horns. The air chime horn clusters weren't added until about 1952. The Kansas City-Birmingham local trains during that (1950-55) period were: Trains 103-104 (KC-Springfield); Trains 101-102 (Springfield to Memphis, "The Sunnyland") and Trains 107-108 (Memphis to Birmingham, also "The Sunnyland").
    The Firefly photos of the day show two RPO's, one from the original steam era train, a baggage-RPO-coach (#82 and #83) and a 201-220 class RPO-baggage car. The Firefly also carried a buffet car. The mystery of the Firefly photos are what two RPO's were doing on the train south of Ft. Scott. The photo Karl Brand referenced a few days ago in the Kalmbach book on modeling RR junctions, has a photo of the Firefly at the Tulsa Interlocker, also with two RPO's and a buffet.

Tom
    Last edited by TAG1014; 04-12-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG1014 View Post
    This train isn't 108. It's train 118 arriving at Ft. Scott yet to be combined with train 104 (Which was the Springfield-KC local of the period). 107-108 wasn't running between Springfield and Kansas City during this period. The picture is ca.1951-52, the engine still has single air horns. The air chime horn clusters weren't added until about 1952. The Kansas City-Birmingham local trains during that (1950-55) period were: Trains 103-104 (KC-Springfield); Trains 101-102 (Springfield to Memphis, "The Sunnyland") and Trains 107-108 (Memphis to Birmingham, also "The Sunnyland").
    The Firefly photos of the day show two RPO's, one from the original steam era train, a baggage-RPO-coach (#82 and #83) and a 201-220 class RPO-baggage car. The Firefly also carried a buffet car. The mystery of the Firefly photos are what two RPO's were doing on the train south of Ft. Scott. The photo Karl Brand referenced a few days ago in the Kalmbach book on modeling RR junctions, has a photo of the Firefly at the Tulsa Interlocker, also with two RPO's and a buffet.

Tom
    Well OK then, I guess that settles that!

Jerome
    Last edited by slsfrr; 04-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.