Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassville and Exeter RR

Default Re: Cassville and Exeter RR

Yes, it's a 5x7negative.

Interesting place for the bell mounting - right up next to the cab along with the generator and whistle. I guess the crew liked noise!

Ken

3. Default Re: Cassville and Exeter RR

Thanks Don, that a nice picture of C&E 345. The paint job look like the way The ES&NA RR painted their Locomotives. Nice picture Don.

If anyone want to know the History of The Cassville & Exeter Railroad, I do know the whole history of this Railroad.

Here are some pictures of the Frisco Depot in Exeter, Mo. If you look at these pictures you will see a spur line behind the depot. The spur rail line is leading to Cassville, Mo. Enjoy.

Thanks,
    Brian Waller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exeter, Mo Depot - big.jpg   Exeter, Mo. Depot - big.jpg  

4. Default Re: Cassville and Exeter RR

Hello,

Does anyone have a picture of The C&E RR Steam Locomotive #20, known as "Mary Ann"??

Brian Waller

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1007/ce2001.jpg

Anybody know anything about this engine...other than what it says on Don's site. Looks like a reasonable scratch building project.

Kent in KC
    Kent Hurley
    Kansas City, MO
    www.nvrr49.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by nvrr49 View Post
    http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1007/ce2001.jpg

Anybody know anything about this engine...other than what it says on Don's site. Looks like a reasonable scratch building project.

Kent in KC
    See post #14 in this thread

http://www.frisco.org/vb/showthread....ghlight=dodson
    Don's photo of this engine was taken while it was on the KC Public Service RR, which operated on the old Country Club Street Car Line. The KCPSRR stored its equipment about 87th and Woodland. The locomotive began its career on the Joplin-Pittsburg RR as that road's #2001

Bullet Re: Cassville and Exeter RR

Here are some photos I thought you might enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 356-4 CASSVILLE & EXETER #345 2-6-0 MOGEL EX SLSF.jpg   356-5 CASSVILLE & EXETER #345 2-6-0 MOGEL EX SLSF.jpg  
    Richard E. Napper
    Frisco Northern Model Railroad
    Modeling the Northern Division and Sheffield Steel in Kansas City, MO and Coal Mines in Missouri

Thanks!
    Craig Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by renapper View Post
    Here are some photos I thought you might enjoy.
    She's been rode hard and put away wet.

Thanks Richard, I had never seen those photos of 345 before. That said, I have to confess that I really prefer Mac Poor's shot that Don posted some time ago -- looked like she was in her gravy days then. I actually watched for a little while as the scrappers were at work tearing up the C&E. My father and I were driving to St. Louis and stopped -- it was a gray, rainy day. The former J-P Ingersoll gas-electric was there and I got some shots of it (on 118 size film -- anyone remember that??). The 345 by then was, unfortunately, long gone. What a neat little engine!

Gordon

What years did #345 serve on the C&E RR??? This line is very interesting and begs to modelled(It would be easier than most considering its length).
    Ship it on the Frisco!!!

Murphy Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by murphy millican View Post
    What years did #345 serve on the C&E RR??? This line is very interesting and begs to modelled(It would be easier than most considering its length).
    The Frisco sold the 345 to the C&E during June 1935.

lauditor temporis acti

Thank you for the information Karl. #345 is a nice looking little engine. I had thought about making this my layout at one time even though it is one of the smallest railroads to exist the layout(if done to actual scale) would be over 300Ft long!!! Right now I'm thinking about a made up Frisco based layout featuring key structures from Fort Smith/Van Buren area(incase I get to build a more accurate one later one). One of these days I'll have to travel up there and follow the abandon R-O-W and look for still existent remants of the old Cassville & Exeter Railroad.
    Ship it on the Frisco!!!

Murphy Jenkins

I am doing a steam short line and I am calling it the Cassville and Exeter( I just liked the name), it really has no bearing on the real C&E RR. Does anyone know anything about the fruit shipments from this RR? Would like to model a fruit packing/shipping idustry
    Thanks
    Bill Wehmeier

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wehmeier View Post
    I am doing a steam short line and I am calling it the Cassville and Exeter( I just liked the name), it really has no bearing on the real C&E RR. Does anyone know anything about the fruit shipments from this RR? Would like to model a fruit packing/shipping idustry
    Thanks
    Bill Wehmeier
    What scale Bill? I'm working on the proper size doors for fruit cars right now. Maybe a Frisco 34' Ventilated Fruit Car is in your future.
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

HO. Late 30's. The Fruit Belt logo shows a strawberry, did they mostly do strawberries or was there other produce shipped? Did they use ice reefers for shipping? And where can I get a Ventilated Fruit car?
    Thanks
    Bill

Here is some other information on the C&E - http://www.barrycomuseum.org/pages/CandE.html
    Bob Dye

Excellent addition. Notice the Frisco Ventilated Boxcar in the picture where 345 is pulling a cut. She follows the tank car right behind the tender.
    Manny
    YesteRRails L.L.C., Owner/Operator
    San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad (1884-1925)
    San Antonio, Fredericksburg & Northern Railway (1913-1917)
    "Reflecting the Frisco influence in the railroads of the Texas Hill Country"

Bill, I don't have any direct knowledge about Cassville production, but generally the strawberries were grown on hillsides and rougher land. The better, flatter land might be in orchards. At least that was the pattern in Benton County, AR during the period that the C&E operated. I remember some strawberry operations in the 50's. A few orchards, mostly apples, lasted past then and there are some still going strong in Washington County.
    Steve M
    "hanging out on the Bentonvile Branch"

Strawberries? Hmm, back in the mid-70's I went through an operation outside of Neosho (I think; maybe Goodman) that made strawberry baskets out of cottonwood veneer. He had an old "sawmill" looking building that would shave the cottonwood trunks into the veneer and that stuff was taken to a building (looked like an old WWI or II single story barracks) where the baskets were stapled together. It now makes sense as to why it was located where it was.
    Bob Dye

Blog Entries

Bill and others,

Here's a thread and information compiled from the old Frisco Employee Magazines on strawberry shipments on the Frisco.

http://www.frisco.org/vb/showthread....t=strawberries

Best Regards,
    Chris Abernathy
    Columbia, MO
    (Modeling the Frisco's Northern Division - Kansas City Terminal in HO-Scale c. 1943)

I may be a little late in posting this, but the old C&E yards were across the creek from my grandma's backyard on E. 10th Street in Cassville. I remember wandering around and seeing the rails buried in the dirt, and wondering what railroad could possibly have operated in that little old town.

Five years ago in this thread I questioned the partial view of a locomotive in a picture of the Cassville depot. I even questioned whether it was really taken on the C&E. There followed some discussion of there having been an ex-USN Alco numbered 3. Well, I was scanning old negatives a couple of days ago and lo and behold what did I find that I myself had photographed in 1956 other than a very derelict number 3! It had only been 55 years, how could I possibly have forgotten ? . . . . . At least I remembered that is was a wretched dark rainy day. Mea culpa.

Gordon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C&E 3 - Cassville 6-56.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	27423

Blog Entries

Interesting, Gordon. Looks no worse than some of the old derelict units I've seen years ago outside the old IC Paducah shops in Kentucky.

Wonder if this diesel supplanted the old Frisco Mogul that was used on the C&E (see the photo in Collias' Frisco Power)?

Best Regards,
    Chris Abernathy
    Columbia, MO
    (Modeling the Frisco's Northern Division - Kansas City Terminal in HO-Scale c. 1943)

I'm enjoying these pics as they surface and the stories/descriptions they engender. Thanks
    Craig Fletcher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast