Discussion in 'Depots G-P' started by roger, Mar 23, 2004.
Nichols, MO. 5/4/85
Nichols Mo Station
From Richard Crabtree on Frisco Rails Across Missouri;
Here we are in Nichols, Missouri or Nichols Junction as it was known on the Frisco Lines. Originally called Junction City (later known as Nichols Junction).
It is situated at the crossing of the Frisco line to Tulsa and Oklahoma points and the Kansas City-Birmingham road. It is four miles west from Springfield in Campbell Township. It was originally laid out by the later Doctor James Evans, in 1882, and was called "Junction City." Later it took the name of Nichols in honor of Danton R. Nichols, an early superintendent of the Frisco with headquarters in Springfield.
The station at Nichols was erected in 1912. The area has changed a lot in 100plus years ~ see overhead view
Photo 1) Frisco Depot at Nichols Junction (1912 Depot)
Photo 2) Frisco Lines at Nichols Junction 1936 ~ MSU Digital Collection
Photo 3) Frisco Depot at Nichols Junction in 1955
Photo 4) Frisco No. 925 SD45 at Nichols Junction March of 1980 Photo by Ken McElreath.
Separate names with a comma.