Frisco Depot Webb City, Mo

Discussion in 'Depots Q-Z' started by RICHCRAB, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. RICHCRAB

    RICHCRAB Guest

    Hello Frisco Folks

    Here are some photos of the Frisco Depot in Webb City, MO

    Take care, Rich

    Ship it on the Frisco!
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Frisco Depot Webb City

    FM
     

    Attached Files:

  3. john

    john FRISCO.org Supporter

    Webb City, MO 1900 from Twenty-Second Annual Report USGS.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. railroadguy65

    railroadguy65 Member

    :) Sanborn Map of Webb City, Mo
     

    Attached Files:

  5. railroadguy65

    railroadguy65 Member

    :) Webb City Frisco Station 2009 - With a photo a rather cool looking light with the Frisco coon skin emblem.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. mark

    mark Member

    Please see the following links for trackside views of the Webb City, MO depot.

    http://www.tristatemodelrailroaders.com/pics/main.php?g2_itemId=37&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

    The depot's agent or operator bay faces the northwest. Note the corner lights on the depot mounted on Frisco coonskin brackets. This view is looking to the northeast.

    This depot was located on the Joplin Branch of the Carthage Subdivision at mile post 326.0. Web City is 5.5 miles northeast of Frisco's Joplin station. After the Frisco closed the depot it was sold to a local manufacturer of industrial scales.

    Please see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...ZUYOeosomFFq6VWJagzPVw&cbp=11,96.67,,0,-10.08

    The address is 929 West Daugherty Street (a/k/a 231 North Madison Avenue). The building is currently occupied by Cardinal Scale Manufacturing Company

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks!

    Mark
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  7. klrwhizkid

    klrwhizkid Administrator Staff Member Administrator Frisco.org Supporter

    From Richard Crabtree on the Frisco Rails Across Missouri Facebook group:
    The Frisco played a key role in the mining boom that took place in SW Missouri ~ from The Joplin Area ~ Webb City, Carthage, Granby, Sacrcoxie & Aurora.
    Photo 1) We are at Webb City, Missouri at one of the mines and we can see Frisco & Memphis Road gondolas on the line around the turn of the last century.
    Photo 2) We have a great map showing all the lines running through the SW MO mining district ~ around 1910.
    Karl Brand:
    There were so many mines which crossed beneath the Frisco, that the Frisco employed a Mining Engineer/ Inspector long after active mining had ceased. Here is a page from the 1979 Frisco telephone directory.

    Webb City Mo mine.jpg Webb City - Jasper, Barton, Cherokee, Newton County mines.jpg 1979 Frisco Phone Directory -Joplin, MO.jpg
     
  8. klrwhizkid

    klrwhizkid Administrator Staff Member Administrator Frisco.org Supporter

    From Richard Crabtree on the Frisco Rails Across Missouri Facebook group:
    Here we are at the Frisco Depot in Webb City, now the home of Cardinal/Detecto Scale. Webb City (Webbville) was platted by John C. Webb in September 1876 and incorporated in December 1876, with a population of 700. The city was located on a portion of Webb's 200-acre farm, which he entered in February 1857. There, in 1873, Webb discovered lead while plowing. With the assistance of W.A. Daugherty, he sank the first pump-shaft in 1874. Webb then leased his land to Daugherty and G.P. Ashcraft. In 1876, the Center Creek Mining Company leased the land and began operations. Some 20 years later, 700 mines were located within the limits of Webb City and adjacent Carterville, and the district ranked first in the production of zinc ore.
    Webb aided the city in its material development. He donated land for a school and the first Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He built the Webb City Bank and the first hotel.
    The St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad, aka Frisco was built to Webb City in 1879, followed by the Missouri Pacific in 1881. The population increased from 1,588 in 1880 to 9,201 in 1900. After the success of the first Webb City sheet ground mine "Yellow Dog" in the 1890s, business boomed. The 100-room Newland Hotel was built and co-educational Webb City College was established.
    The Webb City Mining District was prominently represented at the Chicago Columbia Exposition in 1893 and at the 1898 Omaha International Exhibit. Webb City received for its mineral display the only silver medal awarded. A.H. Rogers built a mule streetcar line from Webb City to Carterville, 1889, the predecessor of the SouthWest Missouri Electric Railway, established 1893, and expanded in the 1900s to a vast inter-urban system with a power plant, car barns and an employee clubhouse at Webb City.
    During World War I, zinc and lead concentrate produced in the Webb City ~ Carterville ~ Prosperity District were valued at more than $18 million. Webb City's population increased to some 15,000.
    After the decline of mining in the postwar period, Webb City turned to diversified industrial and agricultural production. In the 1930s and during World War II, explosives were manufactured by powder plants located near Webb City. Wikipedia
    Photo 1) The Frisco Depot in Webb City, Missouri 1920s
    Photo 2) Frisco Depot in Webb City, Missouri Blueprint Constructed in 1914. ~ MSU Digital Collection
    Photo 3) Frisco Depot in Webb City, Missouri May 25th 1925 Sanborn Map - MU Digital Collection
    Photo 4) A more current photo of the Frisco Depot in Webb City, Missouri ~ as Cardinal/Detecto Scale
    Click here for current view ~ it still standing !
    https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1477755,-94.4744857,3a,37.5y,82.12h,91.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl68D5m_UHSy4esTHeJ09Qw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

    Webb City, Mo Frisco Depot 1920s.jpg Webb City, Mo Depot Plan.jpg Sanborn Map Webb City, Mo.jpg Cardinal-Detecto Scale Webb City, Mo.jpg
     
    Joe Lovett likes this.

Share This Page