Caboose SLSF 1717

Discussion in '1700-1725' started by mark, Apr 25, 2010.

  1. mark

    mark Member

    Please see the following links for views of Frisco caboose SLSF 1717.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23711298@N07/2548357049/sizes/o/ (B end and side)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/2463076834/sizes/l/ (full on side)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/3124399388/sizes/l/ (A end and side)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/2462241261/sizes/l/ (A end and side)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/2462242001/sizes/l/ (B end)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/3124394192/sizes/l/ (B end)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/2462243223/sizes/l/ (interior looking toward A end)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/2463077952/sizes/l/ (interior at cupola, A end)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/2463078448/sizes/l/ (interior cupola seat)

    This is one of the of the Frisco built cabooses intended for road and pool service. This car was constructed during 6/1974. It was built form a main car body provided by a Pullman Standard PS-1 boxcar, SLSF 18310.

    Note in the exterior end views at the end eve the vertical reinforcement tabs characteristic of the Pullman Standard car ends from which this car was fabricated. The lower side sills also hint at the cars origins.

    The exterior views also highlight many features common to these cars. These include the lower side sills that hint to their origin, the electrical conduit along the roof ridge that at one time powered the eve end red marker lights (lights missing on this car), smoke stack support brace.

    The ladder support irons on either side of the cupola at the upper side sill, the firecracker style radio antenna and the end wall spotlights at the platforms were added after the merger.

    The interior views provide a number of interesting details. In the first interior view note the overhead safety hand rail. On the left are at the first door is the restroom with a toilet and sink, storage lockers below the cupola floor, the radio and keypad on the far cupola wall, a bench seat with storage locker below and the conductor's desk by the open end door.

    On the far cupola wall, behind the vertical hand rail, to the lower left of the radio is the handset holder. To come it looks like a flair out in the hand rail as both objects are black. The handset and cord have been removed. However, on the bottom of the radio on its right side you can see the screw plug where it was originally attached.

    On the right hand side is a tool closet with a box on the end wall for storing torpedoes, storage lockers below the cupola floor including one marked for "Oil tank inside with fill gauge", the heating stove and on the far end wall a box for storing fusees.

    The cupola chair photo details include extra grab irons on the sides, the swivel locking mechanism under the seat by the center pedestal and the pedestal base bracing. Note the windows slide open toward the cupola ends on the 1700 and 1400 series cabooses.

    This caboose is located in northwestern Minnesota at the Polk County Museum. The museum is located on the southeast edge to town. Please see http://www.mnhistoricnw.org/Polkchs.htm.

    The address is 751 E. Robert St. (a/k/a U.S. Highway 2 East), Crookston, MN 56716.

    Please see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...d=yDgmbGZtT64UUeDrKJsEAA&cbp=12,83.86,,0,7.18.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks!

    Mark
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010

Share This Page