Caboose SLSF 1712

Discussion in '1700-1725' started by mark, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. mark

    mark Member

    Please see the following links for views of Frisco caboose SLSF 1712. (4/1/2005)

    This is one of the of the Frisco built cabooses intended for road and pool service. This car was constructed during 4/1974. It was built form a main car body provided by a Pullman Standard PS-1 boxcar, SLSF 18360.

    The lower side sill hints at the cars origins. The view also highlight many features common to these cars. These include the electrical conduit along the roof ridge that at one time powered the eve end red marker lights (in place on this car) and smoke stack with support brace to the cupola. In the near end on shot, note the tabs on the roof end eve. This is a spotting feature of many Pullman Standard boxcars, and again hints at the car's origins. The silver spotlights at the right end corners were an addition by that successor railroad after the merger.

    Per the museum's web site the car was donated in 1987 to R. E. "Doc" Waters, a retired BN conductor and one of the founders of the Wichita Falls Railroad Museum. "Doc" in turn donated the caboose to the museum, making it the first piece of rolling stock. Nice to know a piece of Frisco equipment started a railroad museum. The caboose was last reported to be on the east end of the "Steam Train" on the museum's Track 3.

    Unfortunately this car is in full green and yellow paint for that successor railroad.

    This caboose is located in north central Texas at the Wichita Falls Railroad Museum. The museum is located on the west side of town. Please see

    The location address is 500 9th St., Wichita Falls, TX 76301.

    Please see,117.84,,0,11.46.

    Hope this helps.


    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010

Share This Page